Tuesday, February 08, 2005

imortant - so a duplicate post

fresh from the archives:-

RootsWeb: SENIOR-NEWBIE-L Email is the new database: "From: Lance lance.b.4u@gmail.com
Subject: Email is the new database
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:27:16 +1000

With all the activity in the web mail area it is now possible to use
web mail as your new database. All those family messages or
genealogical related ones can now be stored in a web mail account (if
you have one, that is). Gmail started the activity by offering 1000 MB
of storage. Yahoo and Hotmail followed by lifting the limit on free
accounts to 250 MB. While that doesn't sound much when compared with
today's hard drives, it is enough space to hold a heap of email
messages. For example, one of my Gmail accounts has 1300 messages
archived, and that is only taking up 18 MB of space. I estimate it
would be possible to store 50,000 to 60,000 messages if I needed to,
and if I were to live that long - LOL- !

There is an interesting article from the BBC today which is worth reading:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4167633.stm

And if you don't have a web email account, Google have a terrific
service which you can read about here:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Gmail accounts can only be opened by invitation, so after you have
read the above and feel you would like a Gmail account, write to me
OFF-LIST as I have invitations available. Please DON'T CLICK REPLY -
just write direct to me, thanks."

or me - Hugh W

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home