Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Right-Justified Navigation Menus Impede Scannability (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

Right-Justified Navigation Menus Impede Scannability (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox): "8 hours after posting this article, I got email from the University of Michigan design team that they had redesigned their navigation menu. Fast work.

Redesigned navigation menu from the University of Michigan.8 hours after posting this article, I got email from the University of Michigan design team that they had redesigned their navigation menu. Fast work.

Redesigned navigation menu from the University of Michigan.
U. Michigan's old (left) and new (right) nav menus.

Usually, I don't update my articles just because somebody redesigns a website I criticized. After all, any site I mention is only used as an example of a larger principle and the critique of any specific design choice is still valid, whether or not the mistake is live on one particular site. But fixing a usability problem the same day is unusual, and also allows me to show you the above screenshot of the improved menu. I think you'll agree that it's much easier to read than the earlier design."

Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, April 28, 2008:

Right-Justified Navigation Menus Impede Scannability

Summary:
Users scan lists by moving their eyes rapidly down the left edge. Menu items that are right-aligned make scanning more difficult.

study his site useit.com: Jakob Nielsen on Usability and Web Design

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home